UK CMA Impact of Algorithms
On Jan. 19, UK CMA called for evidence on algorithms, competition.
- UK CMA issued call for information on algorithms, competition and consumer harm.
- Lifted lid on impact of algorithms, published new research showing how they can reduce competition in digital markets and harm consumers if they are misused.
- Follows UK GVT Dec. 2020, updated on understanding public attitudes, see #93079.
- Follows UK GVT Nov. 2020, issued report on bias in algorithmic decisions, see #91954.
- Consultation Scope
- Competition and Markets Authority invites views/evidence on harms outlined in paper.
- Seeks information on issues with firms that CMA could examine/consider future action.
- CMA will use the responses to inform and enhance its analyzing algorithms program.
- Invites academics/organizations interested in collaborating on program to get in touch.
- Also announced DaTA unit expert panel discussion on Jan. 25, to explore this further.
- Research by CMA's data, technology and analytics (DaTA) unit has that found algorithms can reduce competition in digital markets and harm consumers if misused.
- Most algorithms used by private firms online subject to little/no regulatory oversight.
- CMA research found more monitoring/action is required by regulators, including CMA.
- Comments to be received by Mar. 16, 2021.
||Bank; BHC; BS; CNSM; Corp; IA; Ins; Inv Co; MG Orig; Servicer
||CP, PR 1/19/2021; Fintech
||Compliance; C-Suite; Financial; HR; Legal; Operations; Privacy; Product; Reporting; Research; Risk; Technology
||Banking; Corporate; Insurance; Loan; Mortgage; Wealth Mgt
|Reg. Last Update
Last substantive update on 01/20/2021