EC Collective Redress Directive
On Jun. 30, EC welcomed directive to raise collective redress.
- EC welcomed provisional agreement to strengthen collective redress used in the EU.
- EU CNCL endorsed a provisional agreement on EU-wide rules for the protection of collective interest of consumers recently concluded with the European Parliament.
- Step towards empowering consumers, create level-playing field for collective redress.
- Draft directive on representative actions for protection of collective consumer interests.
- Follows EP Dec. 2019 approved rules on collective consumer redress, see #50399.
- Collective Redress Directive
- Once formally adopted by European Parliament, the legislation will make collective redress available across the EU and will cover a broad range of areas.
- From financial services to passenger rights, from telecommunications to energy.
- Will provide for efficient cross-border collective redress actions between Member States, include numerous safeguards to prevent the procedure from being abused.
- Strict transparency obligations for qualified entities representing consumers regarding source of their funding, including funds used to launch a specific collective action.
- Currently, not all Member States have a collective redress mechanism available, and proceedings can be lengthy and costly, especially if victims go to court individually.
- Public authorities not always in position to tackle harmful commercial practices effectively in the EU, new rules will guarantee greater protection for consumer rights.
- Next Steps
- On the basis of agreed text and after legal linguistic scrutiny, Council will adopt its position at first reading, European Parliament will then approve Council’s position.
- At that stage, the directive will be deemed to have been adopted.
||B/D; Bank; CNSM; Corp; Exch; IA; Ins
||PR 6/30/2020; DIR 2019/2161
||Complaints; Compliance; Financial; Legal; Operations; Treasury
||Banking; Corporate; Fund Mgt; Insurance; Securities
|Reg. Last Update
Last substantive update on 07/01/2020