OFAC Iran CAATSA Designations
On May 20, OFAC named interior minister, law enforcement officials.
- OFAC designated Iran’s interior minister and senior law enforcement officials, pursuant to the countering America's adversaries through sanctions act (CAATSA).
- The individuals were designated due to serious human rights abuses against Iranians.
- Also named Bonyad Taavon NAJA, which is translated as LEF Cooperative Foundation.
- Individuals Named
- Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli, Iranian regime’s Interior Minister and chair of Iran’s National Domestic Security Council (NDSC), overseeing internal security issues, including LEF.
- Also, appointed by supreme leader as deputy or replace commander-in chief of police.
- Human rights abuses include orders authorizing the LEF to use lethal force in response to the Nov. 2019 protests, resulting in violence against peaceful protestor/bystanders.
- His orders led to the killing of many protestors, including at least 23 minors.
- Hossein Ashtari Fard, commander of the LEF since March 2015; and Ayoub Soleimani, who is deputy commander of the LEF, a position he was appointed to in 2018.
- Mohsen Fathi Zadeh, Yahya Mahmoodzadeh, Hamidreza Ashraq, and Mohammad Ali Noorinajad, all are LEF senior officials; Hassan Shahvarpour Najafabadi, IRGC general.
- Habil Darvish is the Managing Director of the LEF Cooperative Foundation (LEFCF).
- LEF Cooperative
- Iran’s Law Enforcement Forces (LEF) control LEFCF, which is an economic collaborative active in Iran’s energy, construction, services, technology, and banking industries.
||B/D; Bank; Corp; Depo; Ins; MSB
||PR, 5/22/2020; List, PR, 5/20/2020; EO 13553; CAATSA
||AML; Anti-Bribery; Compliance; Financial; Legal; Operations
||Iran, Republic of; United States of America; Cross-Border
||Banking; Clearing; Commodities; Deposits; Loan; Payments; Wealth Mgt
|Reg. Last Update
||AML & Enforcement
Last substantive update on 05/21/2020