MEX GVT Supervision of Food Security
On Oct. 8, MEX issued legal framework governing food safety.
- Comprehensive revamping of regulation of food supply, safety and security.
- New Regulator Mission
- Mexican Food Security (MFS), part of Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
- Tasked with agricultural-food productivity, distribution to most vulnerable population.
- Coordinate purchase of agri-food products at guaranteed prices in favor of producers, and the importation of said food products, in cases where there is no local supply.
- Promote food production, collection, distribution, industrialization, commercialization.
- Also, promote sale, distribution or, where appropriate, import of improved fertilizers and seeds, and any other product that could contribute to food supply, security.
- Coordinate food reserves that guarantee the national supply, ensure that the most depressed areas, with lowest income in the country, obtain food of nutritional quality.
- MFS Authorities
- Supervise Mexican entities, those from abroad, individuals related to food production.
- Coordinate with other agencies of the federal public administration that are closely
- Sell and distribute fertilizers, improved seeds and any other product furthers work.
- Execute agreements with necessary public institutions, producer organizations, credit institutions, unions, consumer organizations, chambers of commerce and industrialists.
- Support work of scientific research, technological development linked to its mission.
- Director of MFS
- Mexican President shall appoint a director of the MFS, who meets requirements of law.
- Director general will legally represent MFS in the fulfillment of its purpose, mission. A
- Administer MFS assets, delegate powers to subordinates, submit matters for approval to board of directors, such as purchase, imports of agri-food products as required.
- Inform board of directors of actions performed as coordinator and provide reports.
- Submit to board matters of strategic importance by their nature, relevance, amount.
- Regulation will enter into force a day after its publication in the official gazette.
- Board of directors created within 45 calendar days following effectiveness.
- Board will issue organizational rules within 180 days from date of its creation.
||Bank; CNSM; Corp; CU
||PR 48149, 10/8/2019
||Financial; Legal; Research; Technology
||Banking; Commodities; Loan
|Reg. Last Update
Last substantive update on 10/09/2019